Welcome to the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre Chennai (Tamil Nadu, India). We offer many courses in yoga and meditation for beginners, intermediate as well as for the advanced practitioners. We follow the ancient discipline of yoga practice as taught by our founder Swami Vishnudevananda, one of the foremost disciples of Sri Swami Sivananda of Rishikesh.
In 1989 the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre in Chennai was started as a part of the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres (ISYVC), a non-profit organisation. Swami Vishnu-devananda synthesized the ancient wisdom of yoga into five basic principles that could easily be incorporated into one’s daily lifestyle to provide the foundation for healthy living. The teachings at the Centre are based around these 'Five Points of Yoga'.
The Five Points of Yoga include:
- Proper Exercise (Asanas) - Yoga poses help develop a strong, healthy body by enhancing flexibility and improving circulation.
- Proper Breathing (Pranayama) - Deep, conscious breathing reduces stress and many diseases.
- Proper Relaxation - (Shavasana) Helps keep the body from going into overload mode, easing worry and fatigue.
- Proper Diet - (Vegetarian/Vegan) Eating simple, healthy and natural foods that are easy to digest and having a positive effect on the mind, body and the environment.
- Positive Thinking (Vedanta) & Meditation (Dhyana) - These are the true keys to achieving peace of mind and eliminating negativity in our lives.
It is best to start at the beginning. If you are new to yoga or Sivananda style of yoga, we suggest you start with the Beginners Course.
Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre
3/655, Kaveri Nagar Beach Road,
Kottivakkam, Chennai - 600 041
(Tamil Nadu) INDIA
Phone: (+91) (44) 2451 1626 / 2546
Mobile: (+91) 91761 06790
Directions and Map - How to find the centre